[TriLUG] Setting up a web proxy for gaim?

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Sun Apr 6 16:58:00 EDT 2003

While I'm travelling, I'd like to use AOL Instant Messenger to keep in touch
with my co-workers back at the office.  I told them that I'd be on AIM when I
was working.  Now, I get into the remote office, and I find that I can't sign
on to AIM.  I suspect that the firewall is blocking whatever port AIM uses.
I noticed that AIM can use an HTTP proxy.  Would it be sane to set up an HTTP
proxy on my laptop and point AIM to that?  What proxy do you recommend?  Note
that recommending a proxy doesn't necessarily require that you answer
questions on how to configure it.  ;-)

---Tom