[TriLUG] more spamassassin, procmail, damaged 'from' line and beyond

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Apr 10 15:17:59 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-10 at 12:02, Turnpike Man wrote:
> Is procmail even required to have SA working with sendmail?  Why,
> why not?

There are ways to install spamassassin "site-wide" that don't involve
procmail, such as the "spamasssassin-milter" system.  But using procmail
is actually the easiest, despite the unreadability of procmail recipes.
:-)

> My current ~/.procmailrc file is as follows, and when in place, none of my mail
> gets delivered, it just vanishes as far as I know.  Was this because of the F
> in the From line or some other possible issue?  Have I not called spamassassin
> correctly?  These were RPM installs.  (to be perfectly honest, I don't know
> exactly what all of these lines mean either, I'll put #comment on them):
>
> -------------------------------
> PMDIR=$HOME/procmail   #no/kinda
> LOGFILE=$PMDIR/log     #no/kinda

This will put a logfile for procmail in ~/procmail/log .  You might want
to make sure that ~/procmail/ directory exists first!  This is very
handy because you should be able to look at the log file and see what
exactly procmail is doing.

> VERBOSE=no             #yes/kinda

You might consider changing that to yes until you get everything setup
the way you like it.

> MAILDIR=$HOME/mail     #yes
>
> :0fw
> | spamassassin -P
> #I see this everywhere, supposed to point to bin??

This should be something like:
:0fw
| /usr/bin/spamassassin

There is no argument/option to spamassassin needed, and you should
include the full path.

> :0:
> caughtspam
> #I see this everywhere, seems the norm, I kinda get it, if spam, put
> #in caughtspam folder?
> -------------------------------

Right, that's the idea.

See for example http://spamassassin.org/dist/procmailrc.example
(It has the workaround for the procmail bug if you need it.  The example
also shows the use of lockfiles for the call to |spamassassin, but that
isn't actually needed since it's calling a filter, not writing to a
mailbox.)

Hope this helps,
Jeremy

--