[TriLUG] Trying to set up a Dual Drive Linux and XP System

Ken Wahl ken at kenwahl.org
Sun Apr 13 13:02:38 EDT 2003

On Sun, Apr 13, 2003 at 10:23:05AM -0400, Kevin Flanagan wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-04-13 at 10:15, Chris wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I have acquired an additional 20Gig drive and for a box I am currently
> > running Windows XP on. Can anybody tell me how to install Redhat 7.3 on the
> > additional drive and configure the boot loader.
> >
> > ps If Mike Johnson sees this.... Hi Mike!
> >
> > Chris Rigano
>

> Chris,
>
> 	Install Windows first.
> 	Install Redhat 9 next, skip 7x, and 8 x unless this is a fairly slow
> system.
>

> 	GRUB will configure itself just fine.

Alternatively, I have mine set up a little differently.

WinXP in on hda and RH 8 is on hdb.  On hda I've installed the
SmartBootManager http://btmgr.sourceforge.net  Grub is on the linux disk
hdb.  I have BIOS set to boot hda by default.  SBM menu comes up and I
choose any partition to boot including removable media or after a period
of time that can be set it'll boot whichever partition you set as the
default.

Smart Boot Manager does a bunch of different things well.  It can boot
any partition right from it's menu regardless of cylinders, etc.  I find
it useful so if you want to boot off a CD you don't have to go into the
bios to change anything.  When the SBM screen comes up just arrow down
to the CD choice.  You can set SBM to boot different partitions
depending on time of the day too.  It'll boot pretty much anything I
think and plays well with any OS.

Lots of options, I haven't played with all of them but I like it better
than the "Grub controls all" setup.  To others, it just may seem like an
unnecessary step in the boot process.  YMMV.

It's important to remember though that you will still need Grub (or
lilo) on the linux disk even if you install SBM on your C Drive (hda).

http://btmgr.sourceforge.net
--
Ken Wahl  ken at kenwahl.org  http://www.kenwahl.org