[TriLUG] Apache, MySQL & PHP

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Sun Apr 13 00:06:38 EDT 2003

On Saturday 12 April 2003 11:0623pm, Nick Goldwater wrote:
> > What specifically is your problem?

> A basic lack of understanding!

Then, search on google for "LAMP" (Linux Apache MySQL, PHP/Perl).

You need to know that you need to

- Use a webserver to display data (apache)
- Use a database to gather/store the data (MySQL)
- Use a programing language (PHP)
- Use bindings on PHP to dig the database (php-mysql)
- Use bindings for the webserver so apache can use PHP(mod_php)

> Now I am afraid that I have messed
> around so much that I need to start over.

Wel, then, if there's no useful data, start over.

> How do you "Uninstall" programs under Linux created from source
> packages?

"make uninstall " from the directory that you made "make install". If
you are lucky (and the package developers were nice) it will work.

> As a side note: I am usinf SuSE 8

Nevertheles, SuSE 8 (and any other distribution) already has all those
packages available to be installed very easily (and be removed very
easy as well). USe the packaeg manager and browse though the available
software. I betcha you have all what you need in the CDs.

The same goes for RedHat, Mandrake, Debian, Slackware....

And, if you use an rpm-based or deb-based or tgz-based distribution, and
you really really really really want to compile the packages from the
source, use this program to generate rpms or debs or tgz from the
source-code, very easily:

checkinstall

http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/

Again, most probably is on your CDs.

> Thanks!

You're wellcome.

Salut,
Sinner
--
http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/     Linux User # 89976
Testing Mandrake 9.1 -    Linux Machine # 38068