[TriLUG] more spamassassin, procmail, damaged 'from' line and beyond

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Tue Apr 15 17:14:24 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-15 at 16:46, Turnpike Man wrote:
> Thanks to Jeremy's latest input, and the archived discussions from everyone, I
> have achieved SpamAssassinator status!!  WOOO!!  I am able to send myself test
> messages and the ones get in that I want and even the ones I send from myself
> which are loaded with BS spam jargon fall away into "caughtspam".
>
> Now I have a few questions.  I suppose all spams get appended to that
> caughtspam file, such that if there is a false-positive, I'll find it in there.
>  Otherwise, could I make this change to .procmailrc :
>
> From:
> :0:
> caughtspam
>
> To:
> :0:
> /dev/null
>
> With that change, no longer would messages accumulate in caughtspam, but they
> would literally disappear, right??

Correct.  But you should never do that, because there will be false
positives.  But at least most of the spam won't clutter up your Inbox
all the time, and you can go through it once in a while to look for FPs.

> Along these same lines, can I setup SA such that something between 5-10 pts is
> a maybe, get's labeled and goes to my Inbox and anything above 10 pts is
> automatically sent to /dev/null??  That would be great if it could be done that
> way.  I'm going to try to decipher the SA usage FAQ, but if anyone would like
> to enlighten me, that would be great!

Yep, you could do that.   I'm trying to dig up the right procmail
recipe, but I haven't found it yet.  If so I'll let you know.  (It
involves the X-Spam-Level header.)

--Jeremy

--
| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp at pobox.com       trilug.org/~jeremy     |