[TriLUG] Sendmail problems...solved

Joseph Tate jtate at dragonstrider.com
Mon Apr 21 11:20:35 EDT 2003

I had several things messed up.  For some reason, one of the problems
has been around for a long time without causing havoc.
First problem was my hosts.allow and hosts.deny setup.
Second problem was ipchains blocking DNS server responses.
After fixing them, I am finally able to receive e-mail from non-local
sources.

Joseph

P.S.  The reason that I assumed that outside mail was getting delivered
is that my mozilla mail client's primary smtp server was the local
sendmail, so it bypassed my employer's mail server and was just
delivered locally.  Mail sent through my employer's squirrelmail access
did not go through.