[TriLUG] cdrecord & cpu usage

zzd zzd at nc.rr.com
Tue Apr 22 10:00:59 EDT 2003

When burning ISO images to cdrom, I find that I am totally unable to do
anything else during the burn process, including move the mouse or
change to alternate windows. I like to use Eclipt which is a good GUI
front end to cdrecord, and when I use the top command, it shows
cdrecord at over 40% cpu.

So, how do I (re)nice the cdrecord command to use less CPU, so that I am
at least able to read/write emails while at the same time, burning a
CDROM? I tried "nice --adjustment=10", but this did me no good. The
whole nice thing is a bit confusing. Any help/direction appreciated.