[TriLUG] cdrecord & cpu usage

David A. Cafaro dac at cafaro.net
Tue Apr 22 10:30:25 EDT 2003

Unless you are running really old equipment (more than 3 years) or very
little RAM this shouldn't be an issue.  Have you checked Eclipt to see
what kind of usage that is running.  Also you may want to use hdparm to
check that DMA is turned on for your HD and CDburner as well as 32 bit
mode.  We careful when playing with hdparm, cause not all hd supports
all modes.  Something to try might be

# /sbin/hdparm -c3 -d1 /dev/hda  (first HD)
# /sbin/hdparm -c3 -d1 /dev/hdc  (first IDE Cdrom)

Which turns on basic 32bit and DMA.  Again, use with caution and be
prepared for it to fail (I've tried some very aggresive settings that
locked my HDs good, had to hard reset and recover journal).

-David