[TriLUG] Server: Debian or Mandrake?

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Tue Apr 22 22:03:37 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-22 at 21:50, Tanner Lovelace wrote:

> If security is high on your list of features, you really *should* look
> at Mandrake.  They are the only distribution I've seen that includes
> an integrated security manager (msec) that lets you define the level
> of security you want.  Actually, if you want an independent evaluation
> of it, ask Jeremy Portzer.  I recently gave him an account on my
> Mandrake server and he can tell you about what we needed to do
> to let him be able to do what he wanted to do.  Because I use msec
> at the highest level, things were so locked down that when I first
> gave him the account, there wasn't much he could do (i.e. he couldn't
> even run rpm).

I couldn't even run ssh/scp to get files out, until Tanner modified the
security level.  (I still can't run rpm, or do anything that requires
/proc access such as w, ps, top, etc.)  Yet I can do what I need to in
order to maintain a web site.  It's pretty neat, and nice to know my web
site is secure. ;-)

--Jeremy