[TriLUG] Cheap Dell Server

Turnpike Man turnpike420 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 23 00:23:17 EDT 2003

I should have mentioned that my shop is a 10 person shop... but these folks
demand things work their way right away... they see server, they see $349, they
tell me that's what they want... then moan and whine when it doesn't perform!
One of our applications sits on hot swap SCSI 10k, Raid 5 (perc2si), 1GB ram,
dual power supply and is a 700MB M$SQL database driven beast running on
SilverStream.  Fortunately I found a Dell PowerEdge 2400 (Love it, ran RH 7.2
very well for a short while before M$ was put on it for the 3rd party app.) in
refurb for a kickin' price, otherwise they would think one of these other
servers could run it.

But, I digress... after further though, this $349 deal would also make the
perfect piece of hardware for our corporate web server in a DMZ as it hardly
has any dynamics to it but a few database calls for the job listing area and
certainly isn't large when it comes to corporate websites.  Also, at that cost,
we could actually afford to have our webserver on a machine of its own in a DMZ
to begin with!  So I suppose there are uses for such machines!  ;)

*burning off the corporate steam*
David