[TriLUG] Cheap Dell Server

Chris Merrill cmerrill at nc.rr.com
Wed Apr 23 08:57:29 EDT 2003

Kevin Flanagan wrote:
>  I didn't say that all things need 7x24, and server features, or should
> cost more than the $400, but don't confuse that system with a server is
> all I was saying.

So you're saying that just because Dell calls it a server
doesn't make it so?

I fail to see how it is NOT a server just because you say it isn't.

We have a 2 year old Poweredge 300 (which was sold as a server in a
similar price range) that we've been using to serve files, web, email
and a few applications for our small office.  In two years we have
had zero problems.  Hardware accessibility is very good.

<Linux content>
The only downtime we've had has been RedHat upgrades, which seem to
invariably break one of our applications or screw the network
configuration.
</Linux content>

Chris Merrill
cmerrill at nc.rr.com