[TriLUG] Small Network User Management

Joseph Tate jtate at dragonstrider.com
Wed Apr 23 14:15:07 EDT 2003

Sounds like you've got it figured out.  NFS is probably a good choice so
long as you keep the export list tightly controlled.

LDAP really isn't that tough to set up, and scripts exist to migrate
file based authentication over to LDAP.  However, if you're new to LDAP,
getting it to work right may be a challenge.  A lot of people don't
trust LDAP for authentication and use Kerberos instead.  There are docs
on how to use SASL in the LDAP howto at tldp.org

I've never personally set up NIS, but apparently, it's very easy on a
homogeneous network.  A nightmare on a mixed network.

Joseph