[TriLUG] Sendmail Config Question

Jaimie Livingston Jaimie.Livingston at haht.com
Wed Apr 23 18:18:46 EDT 2003

HELO,

I need some Sendmail config help, and I am not finding the available docs
all that useful, most likely due to inexperience on my part.

I want to change the configuration of a sendmail server that is the primary
MX for haht.com and also provides some virtual hosting for a few other
domains. Currently, the server relays mail using the "smart" relay host
option in sendmail.cf thru a firewall into another SMTP server. I would like
to change the configuration to do the following:

1) relay SMTP traffic for approved domains in relay-domains
   (relay-domains currently includes haht.com, as well as the other approved
domains)
2) resolve aliases for a subset of @haht.com addresses
   (i.e. jaimiel at haht.com to jlivingston at haht.com)
3) relay/forward @haht.com messages to another SMTP server
   (for anti-virus and anti-spam filtering)

The version of Sendmail being used is 8.12.9.

The current configuration does #1 and #3, but does not do #2.

I have experimented a little bit with the aliases file, the virtualuser
file, and the Smart relay option in sendmail.cf, but I have not been
successful getting all three requirements working.

#1 seems easy enough.
#2 only works if I don't relay using the "Smart" relay host option in
sendmail.cf. Unfortunately, messages to @haht.com addresses not found in the
aliases file bounce.
#3 works if I relay using the "Smart" relay host option in sendmail.cf, but
Sendmail won't resolve aliases for @haht.com addresses using either the
aliases file or the virtualusertable.

I don't want to create user shell accounts on this server.

Can this be done?

Thanks in advance.

Jaimie

P.S. - While I generally appreciate alternatives (postfix, spamassassin,
procmail, or <your_choice_here>), my options in this instance are
constrained by outside factors. I have to use Sendmail, I have to use the
av/as product that is in place, and I don't have the option to rebuild the
system. I would appreciate it if evangelising could be kept to a minimum.