[TriLUG] NFS/NIS/Automount/BIND

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Apr 23 18:55:20 EDT 2003

You are welcome to attend our next RHCE meeting (at HAHT in Raleigh).
I'll be presenting the ins and outs of NFS, NIS, Automount, and BIND
(DNS) on RH9.

NFS is very easy and secure (no matter what ChrisH may say!), NIS is
less secure, but for a small company works great.  I ran NIS at a large
company with about 80 servers and it was never compromised - of course
there were only a few of us unix-type geeks hanging out there.

NFS - allows you to share directories/files with other machines
NIS - allows you to have a universal login across all your machines
     (all your unix machines)
Automount - mount remote (shared) drives automatically
BIND - DNS = name service and IP look-ups