[TriLUG] Tabe Backup Software

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Fri Apr 25 02:08:11 EDT 2003

"David A. Cafaro" <dac at cafaro.net> wrote:

>I wanted to know what people would recommend for a big time Tape
>Storage Library system?  Any good recommendations from the OpenSource
>or ClosedSource worlds?  Cheaper is better, but if it means a lot
>less headaches we will shell out the cash.

Veritas Software make an excellent tape management package.  Includes
auto-detection for out-of-order sets & restores and many other headache-
reducing features.  Problem is, it isn't cheap -- but several places I
have worked at have found it worth gold in the problems it eases.

Also Seagate Software has a tape management system, but I don't know
that they are shipping for Linux yet.  They do have Solaris and HP-UX
(and maybe AIX) versions, so it wouldn't be a stretch for them to have
a Linux port.

--
Scott G. Hall,
Raleigh, NC, USA