[TriLUG] Tape Backup Software

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Fri Apr 25 04:41:17 EDT 2003

Scott G. Hall wrote:

> "David A. Cafaro" <dac at cafaro.net> wrote:
>
>> I wanted to know what people would recommend for a big time Tape
>> Storage Library system?  Any good recommendations from the OpenSource
>> or ClosedSource worlds?  Cheaper is better, but if it means a lot
>> less headaches we will shell out the cash.
>>

> Veritas Software make an excellent tape management package. [...]
> Also Seagate Software has a tape management system, but I don't know
> that they are shipping for Linux yet.  [...]

Forgive my biggest blunder yet!!  I forgot about the granddaddy of UNIX
and related backup software:  Lone*Tar from Lone*Tar Software (formerly
Cactus International), http://www.lonetar.com/   They are to backup
software what MKS is to version control.

They are very reasonably priced, and their products are broken up into
several sub-products, so as to customize your licenses and costs.  They
also are available for custom versions of their software to suit your
site's needs.

I set a customer up with them one time, and he is still happy.  And
after speaking to him tonight, he laughed when I mentioned that I told
you about Veritas.  It seems that they came to him about replacing his
current system, and Veritas' quote was extremely high in comparison to
Lone*Tar's, and their support contract "rapes you" compared to custom
work from Lone*Tar.

FYI; Lone*Tar also has security utilities available under the product
line "Cactus Utilities".

--
Scott G. Hall,
Raleigh, NC, USA