[TriLUG] I can't believe reputable companies still do this

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Fri Apr 25 10:04:34 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-04-25 at 09:37, Tarus Balog wrote:

> Jeremy Portzer said:
> > This is the home page of Time Warner Telecom: http://www.twtelecom.com
> > Try to view it with Mozilla...
>
> Don't blame twtelecom, blame the stoopid consultant they hired to build
> their site.

I realize that it probably wasn't a TW Telecom employee who made the
site, but any company is responsible for what their
subcontractors/consultants do.  You can't pass the buck to someone you
hired.  Again, I'd give them some slack if they weren't an
Internet/telco company -- Internet companies must know better than
this!

> Back when it mattered (Netscape 3.0, etc.) you had to put these checks in,
> and for many so called web designers it became part of the magic.

But we're a long way from Netscape 3 in 2003!

> I believe there is a setting in Mozilla that will let you spoof other
> browsers to get around just such bad code.

I don't think the standard Mozilla has this feature, though Konquerer
and some of the Mozilla clones do.

--Jeremy

--
| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp at pobox.com       trilug.org/~jeremy     |