[TriLUG] I can't believe reputable companies still do this

Chris Merrill cmerrill at nc.rr.com
Fri Apr 25 12:03:03 EDT 2003

Michael Thompson wrote:
> Of course using this procedure to lock out all but one browser is just
> laziness or downright stupidity on the part of the designer, who should
> be beaten with a 50 lb FrontPage manual.

If only it were so simple :(

How many times have I heard this conversation:

(phb mgr) I want this <widgetX> on our web page.
(web guy) It only works on Windows
(phb mgr) That's ok, nobody surfs the web from a server...and
           everbody else runs Windows
(web guy) sigh...it also won't work with Netscape, Mozilla, Opera...
(phb mgr) Companies have all standardized on IE...everbody else
           should get with the program.  Anybody who runs that
           free stuff won't pay for anything anyway.  We don't want
           them as customers...they're too cheap.
(web guy) I can do the same thing with <widgetY> and it would
           be cross-platform and cross-browser
(phb mgr) But that doesn't have <buzzword>.  Just do what I
           asked.  The decision has been made.

--
Chris Merrill
cmerrill at nc.rr.com