[TriLUG] Where is it now?

Joseph Tate jtate at dragonstrider.com
Fri Apr 25 21:35:40 EDT 2003

rpm -ql <pkgname> will list the files installed with the rpm.  You might
want to pipe it through less so that you can look at the output at your
leisure: "rpm -ql <pkgname>| less" (without the quotes.  Generally to
run a program that you've installed from rpm, just type the name of the
program at a command prompt.  You might also find it in the menus.  If
you get stuck, type "man <pkgname>" and then the name of the rpm to get
a manual page.

So, if you installed cdrecord-2.0-2mdk.i586.rpm, type rpm -ql cdrecord
to list the files that were installed (look for something in /bin or
/usr/bin).  Type man cdrecord to look at the manual page.

Another tip, if the manual page isn't enough for you to figure out how
to use it, run rpm -qi <pkgname> to get information about the RPM.  They
usually list the project's web page so you can check there for tutorials
and more extensive documentation.

Joseph