[TriLUG] Best NTP Client for Linux

Turnpike Man turnpike420 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 29 10:50:17 EDT 2003

Interesting things happening here for me.  When I remote home, which is behind
an iptables firewall, no ntp port open, I can synch fine with time.nist.gov
with both winxp and all my linux servers.  At work, I am behind iptables and a
router access list and I still fail:

[home]
[root at ragnarok root]# ntpdate time.nist.gov
29 Apr 10:48:35 ntpdate[32143]: adjust time server 192.43.244.18 offset
0.004338 sec

[work]
[root at burrak root]# ntpdate time.nist.gov
29 Apr 10:43:00 ntpdate[4772]: no server suitable for synchronization found

Both iptables have same basic config.  Both are setup to accept any established
from internal connections, there are no restrictions on what computers inside
the firewall can do.  Any ideas?

thanks,
David M.

~~"Life is but a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves."~~