[TriLUG] Best NTP Client for Linux

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 30 00:01:19 EDT 2003

What do you know about WWV in Fort Collins, Colorado?? This is the "official
timekeeper" for the entire country. It broadcasts the correct time on the
following frequencies 5, 10, 15 and 20 MHZ, and you can purchase some very
inexpensive receivers from your local Radio Shack. You can also purchase
so-called "Atomic Clocks" which will automatically keep themselves
synchronized with WWV in Colorado. The "Atomic" term refers to the fact that
WWV uses radioactivity to keep time. Incidentally, from time to time, even
WWV has to "adjust" the time to compensate for the spinning of the earth a
few seconds or so. If you use a short-wave receiver to obtain this time
standard, be aware that radio signals are virtually as fast as the speed of
light, and thus they are more accurate than any time standard you can find
from some site online. The time is not only given as voice but also in CW
code and other codes to allow scientists around the country to keep their
time measurements extremely precise. With a little knowhow it is indeed
possible to receive these signals directly and feed them into a computer,
using the right software and electronic circuits. You can actually purchase
small "atomic clocks" that are battery powered which display WWV time on a
digital readout for less than $20.
I have one on the mantel in my den which I use to set all the clocks in my
house. Get one of these little clocks and it is almost child's play to
interface to any computer. Search Google for these subjects for more
information: WWV, Fort Collins, Colorado, America's most accurate clock,
etc., etc. Incidentally, Canada also has its own time standard which is
sometimes easier to hear than WWV from Colorado.
Bon Appetit. Incidentally, I've noticed that the time standard at Chapel
Hill Ch. 4 WUNC in Chapel Hill is sometimes very different from listening to
the time directly from Fort Collins, Colorado!! (I have a VCR which sets its
clock using the closest PBS station). So you can also pick up a time
standard from WUNC TV!! (I'm puzzled why it is sometimes wrong, however??).
P.S. There are also entire books which you can read telling you "everything
you need to know" about WWV.----Al Johnson.