[TriLUG] software-addressable power switches?

lfwelty at nc.rr.com lfwelty at nc.rr.com
Fri May 2 13:19:52 EDT 2003

APC makes a remote power controll unit, 'masterswitch,' I've used in the
past at work. They are db9 and ethernet addressable and come w/ a nice
html gui out of the box. They also have some nice reboot options - pwr up,
pwr down, reboot after 5s delay. But they're relatively expensive ~ $600 new.
Froogle finds them as low as $200 used, but I haven't tried used myself.
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=apc+remote+power+control+masterswitch&btnG=Froogle+Search

The tripp-lite I just bought 'SMART1500' has a single addressable outlet.
(Which was a nice surprise - I just bought it for the UPS). And is fully
accessible via Linux. I got mine for ~ $350 at microwarehouse. If you have
more than a single piece of network equipment you'd like to control, you
could throw a powerstrip on that outlet (don't put alot on that strip) and
reboot all of them off that outlet as neccessary. (My Linksys lose their brains
and need to be refreshed from time-to-time along w/ the cable modem.)
http://www.tripplite.com/products/product.cfm?productID=37

If you don't have a UPS and need one that's the way I'd go for home.

F.

Andrew Perrin wrote:
> Is there a device, reasonably cheap and addressable in linux, that will
> let me turn a plug on and off? I'm finding that my cable modem often
> (e.g., every 2-3 days) loses its signal, but a power cycle brings it right
> back.  I'd like to script this so when the computer can't ping out it
> tries to power cycle the modem. But that would require some sort of device
> that lets my computer tell a plug to turn off, wait 60 seconds, and turn
> back on again. If such a device exists, I'm sure some TriLUGger will know
> of it!
>
> Thanks-
> Andy

> TriLUG Organizational FAQ:

  lfwelty at nc.rr.com: Earth is a beta site, I just wish that damn
                     pink elephant would give me my mouse back.