[TriLUG] NC spam laws?

Brandon L. Newport bnewport at appws.com
Mon May 5 13:39:27 EDT 2003

Having to help with some spam cases in the past.  I don’t think the rules
have changed yet.  You want to do it through small claims court because it
only costs you roughly $25 (in most states) however in this state I believe
the maximum damages that you can recover is $25...so you have broken even
:(.  I several states like Washington it is up to $500 for the individual or
$1000 for a company, that is per email (incident).  So if you lived there
you would have to work it out with our ISP and both go after the spammer.  I
don’t think the penalties are enough in this state to worthy going after a
spammer.

I wish it was, cause my wife owns a hosting company and let me tell you we
would definitely be going after some of these people :).  Spam is probably
75% of what our customers get.  Most of it is because their email addresses
are located on their web pages.  We have figured out that many of the
spammers are now using google searches to search for email address.  The bad
guys always find a way to make something good into something bad :).

-brandon

__________________________

Brandon L. Newport - CISSP
Senior Security Engineer
Certified:  CISSP, GCIA, CCSE, MCSE Windows NT 4.0, Sun Workgroup, CCNA
Affiliated:  HTCIA, CSI

Open Security
http://www.open-security.com
P.O. Box 4254