[TriLUG] NC spam laws?

Chris Hedemark chrish at trilug.org
Mon May 5 13:58:32 EDT 2003

On Monday, May 5, 2003, at 01:39 PM, Brandon L. Newport wrote:

> Having to help with some spam cases in the past.  I don’t think the
> rules
> have changed yet.  You want to do it through small claims court
> because it
> only costs you roughly $25 (in most states) however in this state I
> believe
> the maximum damages that you can recover is $25...

 From my reading of it (IANAL) I was under the impression that it was
legal costs + $25 so the cost to bring the case is added to the total
judgement, right?

So $25 is above and beyond the cost to file, if I understand it
correctly.

> don’t think the penalties are enough in this state to worthy going
> after a
> spammer.

Maybe, maybe not.  If I'm going to be down there anyway, and he's
already spammed me twice, getting $50 out of the guy plus legal fees
sounds worthwhile.  I think $500 to $1000 would do a better job of
getting his attention, though.

> I wish it was, cause my wife owns a hosting company and let me tell
> you we
> would definitely be going after some of these people :).  Spam is
> probably
> 75% of what our customers get.  Most of it is because their email
> addresses
> are located on their web pages.  We have figured out that many of the
> spammers are now using google searches to search for email address.
> The bad
> guys always find a way to make something good into something bad :).

I know this all too well;  I work for the bad guys (though I am not
actively involved in that aspect of the business... I'm more involved
in snail mail marketing... and yes I feel all icky about it)