[TriLUG] SC nominee bio for Mike Broome

Mike Broome mbroome at employees.org
Wed May 7 21:56:58 EDT 2003

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 11:26:21AM -0400, TriLUG Steering Committee wrote:
> Those of you running, you may wish to post a brief biography or other
> description of why you'd like to be on the Steering Committee.

Hi, I'm Mike Broome.  [all together: "Hi, Mike!"]

I got started with Linux years ago when a co-worker and I started
reading some of the newsgroups and chatting about it this nifty
OS with the funny name.  That was back around 1994 or 1995.  IIRC, I was
running OS/2 and Windows 3.11 at the time.  I also had Minix on floppies
that I used with an old 8086 machine.  I didn't install Linux on one on
my machines until I bought my first Red Hat boxed set of RHL 4.{mumble}.
(I can't remember if it was 4.1 or 4.2.  I'm sure I still have it around
here somewhere.)  Ever since then, I've had at least one machine at home
running Linux, and I currently have a handful.  I tend to collect old
hardware, and I've enjoyed playing with odd kernel patches and distros
to try to squeeze a little more life out of old machines.  I am
currently participating in the TriLUG RHCE study group with the goal of
taking (and hopefully passing) the RHCE at the end of it.

In real life, I'm a software engineer with Cisco Systems and have been
working as a programmer in the networking industry for a little more
than 10 years (including stints a 2 other companies).  Cisco is fairly
progressive in supporting Linux.  There is a strong internal user group,
and we  have a distribution available internally that is tailored to our
engineering environment.  (It's basically Red Hat with a bunch of custom
RPMs.)  I've learned as much from the company Linux mailing list as I
have from the TriLUG mailing list.

I have been a member of TriLUG starting at the very first meeting in
basement room at UNC back in 1998.  Over the years, TriLUG has gone from
that hot, crowded[1] room of enthusiasts, to a well-run and very active
LUG with great support both of and from the members.  For my part, I've
lurked, answered questions on the mailing list, and occasionally tried
to help out at meetings. I'm interested in giving back to the LUG by
being a member of the steering committee so I can help keep TriLUG
running at the high level we've all become accustomed to as well as look
for ways to improve the LUG and the experience of the members.

See y'all tomorrow night!

Mike

[1] Just pulled up an e-mail from Nov 6, 1996 about that initial
    meeting: the final count on the attendance was around 80.  Wow.

--
Mike Broome
mbroome(at)employees.org