[TriLUG] stuck on samba install

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Sat May 10 13:53:35 EDT 2003

John, first suggestion: update up2date. This is easy from command line: up2date --nox -p. <- This forces your package list locally to sync with your account on RHN. Next save your smb.conf and password map (if used) and REMOVE samba samba-common and samba-client. Once these are removed, install them with up2date (again from command line): up2date -i samba samba-common samba-client. This will insure that the installation you have, depenancies and all, will be correct. Then you can use up2date again from the command line to update the box: up2date --nox -u. <- This will sync your box and rhn correctly including all libraries. This should help you and take about 30 min depending on your connection and broken dependancies.

HTH

On Fri, 9 May 2003 23:51:42 -0400
Jim <priest at thecrumb.com> wrote:

> Been a long time since I've been on the list but I'm in the process of
> hosing my RH8 setup and need some help before I end up reinstalling.
> ;)
>
> I'm trying to install Samba and during the initial attempt at install
> I get an error about a failed dependency relating to GLIBC 2.3 but if
> I try to install that I get all sorts of errors about it conflicting
> with 2.2. I forced the Samba install but it still balks about missing
> libc.so.6 (GLIBC 2.3)
>
> Nothing much on this machine - no X/Gnome/KDE, just running my website
> and thats it.  I'm guessing somehow I've run Up2Date and got things
> out of sync and can't install the older version of Samba?
>
> thanks,
> jim

> TriLUG Organizational FAQ:

Roy Vestal
rvestal at trilug.org
http://www.trilug.org/~rvestal

The box said "Install Windows 2000 or better", so I installed LINUX!