[TriLUG] vncserver across reboot won't let client connect

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Sun May 11 08:56:27 EDT 2003

check this out, a friend of mine sent this to me a couple of days ago:

In:  /etc/services Add a line
vnc             5900/tcp                # added this line

In: /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config Comment out the line:
DisplayManager.requestPort: 0           # commented out this line

In: /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess uncomment the line:
*    # any host can get a login window  # uncommented this line

IN: /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc set Xdmcp to true
[Xdmcp]
Enable = true                           # changed from false to true

In /etc/xinetd.d/ create a file vnc

# default: on
service vnc
{
        disable         = no
        id              = vnc
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = root
        server          = /usr/bin/Xvnc
        server_args     = -inetd -query localhost -depth 24 -once -geometry
1024x768
}

After all this and a restart, vnc to ip:0. Each instance is it's own session
which expires when you log out