[TriLUG] Mandrake and Apache/cgi setup

neuronet at cyberrad.org neuronet at cyberrad.org
Sun May 11 17:24:32 EDT 2003

Pardon the newbie question...

I'm trying to setup cgi on a Mandrake 8.2 machine w/ Apache 1.3 to allow running perl
scripts.

This is pretty much a 'stock' installation.  No changes made to startup
scripts.
httpd and httpd-perl are both running.  (Is this OK or a no-no?)

/etc/httpd/conf/commonhttpd.conf contains:

 ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /var/www/cgi-bin/
 ScriptAlias /protected-cgi-bin/ /var/www/protected-cgi-bin/

and

 <Directory /var/www/cgi-bin>
     #AllowOverride All
     AllowOverride None
     Options ExecCGI
     Order allow,deny
     Allow from all
 </Directory>

/var/www/cgi-bin is mode 711

test-cgi script in /var/www/cgi-bin mode 711

When I try to access http://<myserver>/cgi-bin/test-cgi I get an error

" Forbidden
  You don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/test-cgi on this server  "

What am I missing??
Is something chrooted? (Where do I look to find out? Hey - Don't laugh.
I said this was newbie material!! ;) )

Thanks.
-h

PS Same thing (different cgi-bin path) on a Debian box works just fine...  What gives???