[TriLUG] OT: electricity and networks (a network question, really)

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Mon May 12 22:50:53 EDT 2003

I was checking out a neato article on slashdot about the nocat guys
setting up a wireless network using ethernet over power cable to a
small ether-over-power to 802.11 bridge.  This looked very interesting.
  The article is here:

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/h/352

And the ether-over-power to 802.11 bridge is here:
http://www.speedstream.com/products_powerline.html
(the Speed Stream 802.11 bridge)

Ether over power seems to be limited to 14 meg/sec, which is okay if
all you are doing is 802.11b which is 11 meg anyway.  Now, the question
is related to propagation of the ether signal over the power cables.
I'm NOT a EE, nor someone with much of any experience with power other
than as a two-year-old I learned that if you chew on a metal key then
plug it in, you get a funky burn on your arm that never goes away.

Now, my question is how far does the ether signal travel over the power
cable?  If this type of thing works as claimed then the ether signal
must hit the main breaker panel in the house (it has to if it's going
from one circuit to another) and if it hits that panel does it
propagate out via the main power circuit to the house then possibly to
the neighbors houses?  I would imagine that the signal is fairly
limited in distance but if you've got a 200 amp circuit coming into the
house that copper has to be of fairly large gauge which would allow the
signal to travel farther (kind of like 10-base-5 vs 10-base-2 (or
10-b-t for that matter)).  And if you can blast 14 meg over 15 amp
wires how far can you shoot a signal down a 200 amp wire?

Any thoughts here?  Could it actually be possible to hack a neighbor
(or at least sniff) over the power lines in the 'hood?

I'm sure this is providing someone with a good laugh, but like I said,
I'm not EE.

Greg