[TriLUG] linux apps on desktop that support *.mdb, *.vsd, *.dwg and *.mpp

Michael Thompson thompson at easternrad.com
Wed May 14 12:44:54 EDT 2003

> If Microsoft put piracy controls on MS Word, this "standard" would dry
> up quickly.  They are willing to tolerate piracy to ensure that their
> document format stays "standard".  If someone had to spend $300 solely
> to read an email attachment from grandma, they would quickly start
> doing some of the things that have been suggested in this thread.

This is what it will take to change the 'standard'.  Or a better office
suite needs to step up to the plate.

The point I'm trying to make is that people will not change until they
*want* to change, and most people don't want to change.  Linux and
open-source is cool to us and we deal with the 'issues' and take extra
steps because we enjoy it.  (most of us, I guess)  Most regular computer
users do not want to deal with the extras (file conversions, .conf
files, more thought :) , etc...) involved with using other solutions.
These are the people who will forever contribute to the Gates Fund, and
they far outnumber us.

--mwt