[TriLUG] linux apps on desktop that support *.mdb, *.vsd, *.dwg and *.mpp

Lee Fickenscher elfick at trilug.org
Wed May 14 13:22:19 EDT 2003

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 12:32:25PM -0400, Chris Bullock wrote:
> Mac laptops.  From my point and all MS Office users, people use MS
> Office because it is the most commanly used, easiest to learn, and from
> personal experience more stable than Open or Star Office.  The point is
> until there is a better suite people are going to continue to use MS
> Office because it far exceeds all others in functionality and ease of use.

On most of this I certainly wouldn't argue, but the statement that it is
easiest to learn simply isn't true. There are several illogical design
decisions in Office that are difficult to remember, unless you just get
used to it... ex:

If you want to format a cell, you go to Format->Cell
to format a sheet, you go to Format->sheet
to format a paragraph, you go to Format->Paragraph
to format a page, you go to File->Page Setup???

What is that? It certainly isn't logical or easy to learn.

It is easy to use because thats what people are used to using...
Someone with no experience with office suites wouldn't find Office any
easier to use than any other well designed suite.

-Lee