[TriLUG] linux apps on desktop that support *.mdb, *.vsd, *.dwg and *.mpp

Lee Fickenscher elfick at trilug.org
Wed May 14 20:39:10 EDT 2003

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 07:54:07PM -0400, Jim Ray wrote:
> Well, in the vain of getting that customer to save as another format,
> it's the only another quasi portable CAD format to my knowledge.

Thats true, it is... But it is also highly inefficient. A given .dwg
will be approximately 30% larger when converted to .dxf even though
there is no information added. In fact, the .dxf most likely has less
information than the .dwg. Also, I don't think any app uses .dxf as its
native format, so it suffers a conversion coming and going.

If you are interested you can check out this white paper:
http://www.opendwg.org/about/whtpaper/whynot.htm

-Lee