[TriLUG] HD Partition Recovery

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Fri May 16 12:35:05 EDT 2003

On Friday 16 May 2003 11:40 am, Michael Donaghy wrote:
> Yesterday I accidentally performed this command
>   dd if=boot.img of=/dev/hda bs=1440k count=1
> notice the "hda" instead of "fd0".  Ooops.
> Yes, I know using root isn't a good idea & that I
> should back up my data more often.  :)

I've done a similar thing (big doh!). And I got my disk back. And using an
opensource tool.  :)

Check out the utility "testdisk" that comes in Knoppinx... or get it from
testdisk's developer's webpage:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/index.html?testdisk.html

It's available for different platforms. It takes a while to understand the
progam. But it works very well. You don't need luck, you need this program.

Salut,
Sinner
--
Stallman Reads my Tutorials! http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/Steel/rms.html
Running on Mandrake Linux 9.0 - Kernel  2.4.19smp  Linux User # 89976