[TriLUG] Re: [OT] propane BBQs by my Window

Mark Shuford davemarcus at pobox.com
Fri May 16 21:37:46 EDT 2003

On Fri, 9 May 2003 15:41:20 -0400
Sinner from the Prairy <sinner at escomposlinux.org> wrote:

> My point is: use the best tool for your question. This is not the best
> place for Windows knowledge, as the TRiNTUG is not a good place to
> search for questions on Linux-related issues.
.
.
.
> So? If I want to read about gardening, TriGardug would be the place. If
> I want to learn about vegetarian cooking, TriVug will be the place. But
> asking for good computer support companies at TriGardug or about proper
> seasoning for a NY Strip Steak at TriVug is just not "efficent".

Okay, I know this was all from a week ago but ya know... just got back to the eMail...

Now, it seems to me that asking a Linux person how to use a (semi-)open-source program to access Windows would actually be more efficient than asking a Windows person how to do it. The Windows folks don't often have much interest in non-Windows stuff... whereas the Linux folks very often are required (by their jobs and such) to also use Windows. This being the case they have more probably attacked the how do I connect my non-Windows system to Windows than the Windows folks.

So in short: looks like a non-Windows source is a good place to ask about the sort of thing that started this.

What if someone had been asking about how to find a open source version of (oh say) LAT to attach their Linux box to some cruddy old DEC Terminal Server. Would that be considered as off-topic as the Windows-related question. Somehow I don't come up with the answer yes...

--
Mark Shuford

Now I know what a statesman is; he's a dead politician. We need more statesmen.
					--Bob Edwards

Visit me at: http://www.krazeemark.com