[TriLUG] Pimpin' Gentoo

Tom Boucher trekkie at spamcop.net
Sun May 18 16:36:46 EDT 2003

On Sunday, May 18, 2003, at 02:55 PM, Lee Fickenscher wrote:

> On Sun, May 18, 2003 at 10:43:45AM -0400, Tom Boucher wrote:
>> Just curious, but have you gotten gentoo x to work under VMWare?  I
>> got
>> it all installed and went to follow the instructions for X11
>> installation and totally hosed it (of course, since the video drivers
>> are from VMWare)
>
> I've never tried to do anything under VMWare. What exactly do you mean
> by "totally hosed", did the install fail, or is X just not starting?

When it comes to X and me, when X doesn't start, I deem it totally
hosed.

However, if I remember correctly, there were lots of messages I didn't
understand that were gentoo related (emerge, etc) and at the time I
went 'eh' and wiped the VMWare partition away from my laptop.   I was
feeling evil one day and decided to try to run Linux, with VMWare, then
Windows, and then VMWare inside of Windows (inside of VMware inside of
Linux)

I gave up after a while.  So I quit.  I've not tried again but I may
decide to put it on a real computer here soon since I have one I need
to format / on again.

Just was more looking if anyone had tried it on vmware workstation.

Tom