[TriLUG] Pimpin' Gentoo

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Sun May 18 21:34:48 EDT 2003

As a follow up to my last post, thanks Lee for that friendly reminder, gentoo is not easy sometimes, but it works and it's solid.

HOWEVER, according to the VMWare folks, you have to install X and get it working with the generic VGA first, THEN the VMWare tools will add the appropriate drivers/modules to your kernel and mod the XF86Config file for you. Do NOT try and mod the XF86Config file unless you want to read a LOT of VMWare docs. Once the VMWare Tools are installed, it works fine.

HTH

On Sun, 18 May 2003 19:47:50 -0400
Lee Fickenscher <elfick at trilug.org> wrote:

> On Sun, May 18, 2003 at 04:36:46PM -0400, Tom Boucher wrote:
> > When it comes to X and me, when X doesn't start, I deem it totally
> > hosed.
>
> Well, with Gentoo, the chances that X will run out of the box are really
> quite close to zero. You are going to have to do some tweaking of your
> XF86Config file, _especially_ on a laptop.
>
> -Lee
> TriLUG Organizational FAQ:

Roy Vestal
rvestal at trilug.org
http://www.trilug.org/~rvestal

The box said "Install Windows 2000 or better", so I installed LINUX!