[TriLUG] USB cameras that use the SE401 driver

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Mon May 19 19:18:30 EDT 2003

On Sun, 18 May 2003 21:26:04 Roy Vestal <rvestal at trilug.org> wrote:

>On a slight followup question, I have USB Logitech QuickView Pro,
>and QuickView Pro 3000 cameras. Anyone get those working?
>
>On Sun, 18 May 2003 15:11:27 -0400 (GMT)
>"gregbrown at mindspring.com" <gregbrown at mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>> Hey all.  Does anyone know of a USB camera sold in the local
>> raleigh area that supports the SE401 linux USB camera driver?
>> I check CompUSA and some other local places but couldn't find
>> anything supported under Linux (and I don't want to order the
>> camera on-line if I don't have to).

I have an EZonics "EZcam-II USB" (UVT-8532 chipset version), and
yesterday just asked them about Linux support.  Their tech support
says that several customers are able to get their "OVT versions"
running directly with Linux software (they didn't know which), but
did not know about the UVT versions.  The camera is an OEM from
IC Media Corp, and according to ICM engineers, the UVT protocol
has not been decomposed (ie. hacked) in Linux yet.

 From the best I can gleam from "googling", the OVT works with the
401 driver.  So if you are looking for a camera from EZonics, open
the box and look at the model number and serial number on the bottom
of the base -- if it has "OVT" in it it should work.

I'll experiment with this one and see where it goes, but if anyone
out there has any further info please post.

--
Scott G. Hall,
Raleigh, NC, USA