[TriLUG] Serial connection with Linux

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Tue May 20 15:15:29 EDT 2003

On Mon, 19 May 2003 14:10:47 Brian Daniels <bitmage at bellsouth.net> wrote:

>On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 01:51:54PM -0400, Chris Bullock wrote:
>
>>Working with some Cisco equipment and going to need to make some
>>console connections.  However, we only have Linux boxes in our
>>server room <yaaaa>.  What feature gives me a console connection
>>equivalent to Windoze hyperterminal and how do I use it.
>>--cgb
>>

>I use minicom.  It's included with recent RedHat releases.  Run it as
>root with 'minicom -s' to set initial configuration and port.

Check out C-Kermit from the MIT Kermit project:  (latest update for
UNIX/Linux is 30-Mar-2003)  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckermit.html
It will emulate a number of terminal personalities, and properly
translate to your TERM values (ie. you can use what ever terminal into
Linux you wish, including Xterm or the Linux console).  It also will
work over a network, and offers a built-in FTP client, HTTP browser
(text only; http 1.1) and an SSH client (supporting kereros IV & V).

C-Kermit 8.0 is already included in Red Hat 9, SuSE 8.0 and later,
Mandrake 7.1 and later, and all of the FreeBSD'a & OpenBSD's derived
from FreeBSD 4.7 and later.  Other vendors may have the installable
package on their FTP sites, just not on their install CD's.

Some download sites are:
Red Hat Linux RPM:

http://rawhide.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/rawhide/i386/RedHat/RPMS/ckermit-8.0.209-1.i386.rpm

SuSE Linux RPM:

ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/8.0/suse/n2/ckermit-8.0.200-55.i386.rpm

Debian Linux: (suitable for KNOPPIX & Xandros too)
http://packages.debian.org/stable/comm/ckermit.html

Mandrake Linux RPM:
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/contribs71/ckermit-7.0-3mdk.i586.html

on SCO/Caldera Linux:
http://www.aplawrence.com/Bofcusm/1244.html

and for other distros:
http://rpmseek.com/rpm-pl/ckermit.html?hl=com&cx=2121:C:0

For further info, google: Linux c-kermit"

Side note: Kermit-95 is a much better terminal emulator for MS Windows
(especially over hyperterm, but even over Procomm, et.al.), and is ideal
for using MS Windows to access a Linux box.

--
Scott G. Hall,
Raleigh, NC, USA