[TriLUG] New version of Win4Lin

Mark R. Hinkle mrhinkle at mindspring.com
Tue May 20 22:33:08 EDT 2003

Well I do work for NeTraverse so here's the scoop on Win2K and XP. Right now
our lead developer's prime use of time is working on W2k support. The hard
part about making the jump is that there is a huge fundamental architecture
difference between 95/98/ME and 2K. Hopefully we will get a beta out using
2K this year but when you are reverse engineering another product like this
it's hard to judge an exact date. However, on the flip side, if you are
running most of your apps on Linux and just filling the gaps for those
things you can't run on Linux. Running Win 95/98 is close to as stable
running on Linux as W2K is running standalone, plus it takes up less system
requirements. With that said there are some good reasons to support 2K and
it's our mission to get that running as well as XP.

Regards,

Mark R. Hinkle
Vice President,CIO
NeTraverse