[TriLUG] [Fwd: LUG: email, im and vpn in large companies]

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri May 23 13:34:54 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-05-22 at 12:22, Pam Huntley wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> What do most large companies use for email, IM, and vpn clients and
> infrastructure?  Particularly in mixed environments where both Linux and
> Windows are used.  What types of protocols do companies use?  What are
> the linux clients that are used in mixed environments? (and I mean
> supported GUI clients here).  I'm sure there's lots of stuff I'm
> missing, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

At some larger companies that I've worked for we used,
  Email:
   MTA = Sendmail (or Postfix) and Exchange
   Clients = Outlook, Outlook Express, Web-based CGI's
   Linux based Clients = Kmail (imap and pop), Evolution (imap and pop),
Web-based

  IM: everything under the sun (Yahoo, MS, AOL, etc)

  VPN:
   Site-to-site: IP Sec (using OpenBSD servers)
   Client-to-site: PPTP, IP Sec, SSH/PPP

===
Most modern apps are rapidly becoming Web-enabled. Either they publish
directly to the web via cgi's or they have a gateway that allows access
via a web-based java/cgi app. This removes the OS barrier.

The only modern application remaining as a barrier to free OS choice
(for general business use) is the Office suite.  Office applications are
huge and run too slowly via web-based applications so they still need to
run locally.

There are some intelligent choices for Office suites that run across
multiple OS'es. Open Office is a good choice, and also inter-operates
with other Office suites.

HtH - Jon Carnes