[TriLUG] sendmail question -ONoRecipientAction=Add-To-Undisclosed

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Fri May 23 13:46:13 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-23 at 12:49, Jon Carnes wrote:
> Here is a moronic question for you:
>   Why don't you simply include a bogus or valid email address in the TO:
> field... like all legitimate email does?

The problem with using a bogus address in the To: field is that sendmail
will try to deliver mail there (since I'm using /usr/sbin/sendmail -t
and not SMTP).  The mail will then bounce to the sender (in addition to
being delivered successfully to the BCC recipients).  But I don't like
the idea of making the address "non-bogus" with an alias to /dev/null,
because then someone might try to send mail there.  The special
'Undisclosed Recipients:;' syntax solves this.  And it SHOULD work with
the sendmail configuration I outlined, but it's not. :(

> Whenever I've blasted out mass-mailings (code word for spam *from* my
> company) I always put the From: address in the To: field as well, but
> change the display name to "Undisclosed Recipients".

In my case, it isn't actually "mass mailings" -- it's usually around
20-30 people (students in a class) but we need this to keep the email
addresses of the recipients private.  The From: address in my case is a
perfectly valid real person's address.

> NBD and the mail doesn't look radioactive to the end-user or to spam
> filters.

I don't think the official "Undisclosed Recipients:;' syntax is that
"radioactive" to spam filters, but maybe.

--Jeremy

--
| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp at pobox.com       trilug.org/~jeremy     |