[TriLUG] Dababases [Was:sendmail question -ONoRecipientAction=Add-To-Undisclosed]

Stephen P. Schaefer sschaefer at acm.org
Sat May 24 00:22:46 EDT 2003

Chris Hedemark wrote:

> Been there.  Done that.
>
> But did you know SAP is ditching SAPDB in favor of MySQL?

Ah, so you already knew more than I.  I've had my eye on PostgrSQL for
quite a while and know enough about MySQL to expect PostgreSQL to be
more featureful for now.  Could you give me (us) a paragraph or two
about  SAPDB?  The only striking thing I saw in its "features" is
"unlimited size" - which could mean almost anything.  I get nervous
about PostgreSQL tables being limited by the maximum file size of the
underlying file system, but maybe that's been addressed?  On Linux,
that's 2^32 bytes (approx 4Gig)*.  Solaris can handle larger files, but
does PostgreSQL compile cleanly as a 64bit application?

     - Stephen