[TriLUG] Dababases [Was:sendmail question -ONoRecipientAction=Add-To-Undisclosed]

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Sat May 24 19:14:17 EDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-05-24 at 09:09, Jim Ray wrote:
> Hmmm.  The stuff I do prolly won't ever reach 4 GB.  Sounds like
> postgres will give up to go.  A fellow that works with me ran into a
> mysql limitation of 8000 records which doesn't make a lot of sense to
> me.  8000 is way dinky.

I have a MySQL table with way more than 8000 records... dunno where he
got that limitation idea!  For example:

mysql> select count(*) from tr_main;
+----------+
| count(*) |
+----------+
|  4092863 |
+----------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

That's over 4 million records.

As far as I can tell, there is no limit on number of records in the
table.  The underlying operating system may limit the number of bytes
stored in the table file, however, as systems with unpatched 2.2 kernels
and glibcs could only support up to 2GiB.  (This is now 2TiB IIRC.[1])

Also, see this for info about increasing the size of MySQL tables:
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Table_size.html

"By default, MySQL tables have a maximum size of about 4 GB. You can
check the maximum table size for a table with the SHOW TABLE STATUS
command or with the myisamchk -dv table_name. See section 4.5.7 SHOW
Syntax.

"If you need a table that will be larger than 4 GB in size (and your
operating system supports this), set the AVG_ROW_LENGTH and MAX_ROWS
parameters accordingly when you create your table. See section 6.5.3
CREATE TABLE Syntax. You can also set these parameters later, with ALTER
TABLE. See section 6.5.4 ALTER TABLE Syntax."

Regards,

Jeremy Portzer

[1]  http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html  for the meaning of
GiB and TiB.