[TriLUG] C linux programming question

Jim Ray jim at neuse.net
Sun May 25 08:22:27 EDT 2003

I haven't looked at the EIA-232 spec in over a decade and have only used
the 3 necessary pins for my work: transmit, receive and ground.  You can
touch the oscilloscope probe to the correct pin and capture a trace to
read the ASCII.  The rest of the pins are handshaking thingies.

I reckon TI and Motorola have the functionality for generating the +/-
12 V from 5 V built in to their controllers these days.  Kitchen sink
soon to follow.