[TriLUG] Who runs Red Hat and KDE

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Sun May 25 15:21:59 EDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-05-25 at 13:09, karl thiele wrote:
> Just goes to show that RH is really a company interested in profits, buy
> my upgrade every 6 months.

Well, I hope that Red Hat is interested in profits (among other
things).  I want to see them hang around for a *long* time.

And as to the upgrades, well Linux has been a moving target for a long
time! Upgrades and new functionality come out daily. Red Hat has been a
lot of help in that area.

If you want the new features, upgrade.  If not, be cool stay where
you're at (or try-out Debian).

> The people this hurts most are the individual
> who want to keep up with the lastest but are not technical enough to do
> it on thier own and rely on the distributions to provide upgrades. In
> this regard the distributors are no different than any other software
> vendor, except by GPL, they have to give it away for free and in source.
> I wonder how they would do business if the GPL was not in place?

So I should cry for non-techies who have problems keeping up with the
development pace of Linux?  Please! You have got to be kidding me.

You really need to move over to Debian, because Red Hat is obviously
*not* for you.

I have no problems with Red Hat's development/release cycles... well
except for that lone bastard hanging out there: RHL 8.0
In fact, I only buy the distribution in order to support Red Hat; in
most cases I've already burned the ISO's.

> I thought with RH interest and support of Gnome the support would follow
> suit. I do not keep up with Gnome, actually not with kde, just when it
> strikes me too. Well I quess you comment is not surprizing. Well I
> understand the look would be different, got to have RH logos everywhere.
> Isn't the functionality the same???

Red Hat's focus for a long time has been on applications, services, and
stability. They have done a stellar job - hence their acceptance in
America as the defacto distribution for business.

For legal reasons they have gotten into the KDE ball game late, but they
haven't ignored it. Still their focus is for business. The changes and
features they push are those that are demanded by business users (folks
who vote with their wallets...).

Stop kicking at Red Hat!  They don't cater to your pet peeve.  So what.
Go find a distribution that does.

Red Hat is doing just fine by me!

Jon Carnes