[TriLUG] Who runs Red Hat and KDE

karl thiele karlthiele at nc.rr.com
Sun May 25 17:27:12 EDT 2003

Jon Carnes wrote:

>On Sun, 2003-05-25 at 13:09, karl thiele wrote:
>

>>Just goes to show that RH is really a company interested in profits, buy
>>my upgrade every 6 months.
>>

>Well, I hope that Red Hat is interested in profits (among other
>things).  I want to see them hang around for a *long* time.

I think we can all concur on your point, but emphasis changes as thier
customer base has changed. In the beginning they had no corporate
customer base, I would think now that is thier major emphasis is towards
corporate.

As you are a long time user, I will repeat my questions, what is your
strategy? Do you run RH and KDE?

>And as to the upgrades, well Linux has been a moving target for a long
>time! Upgrades and new functionality come out daily. Red Hat has been a
>lot of help in that area.

Not my point, irrelevant to what I was asking.

>If you want the new features, upgrade.  If not, be cool stay where
>you're at (or try-out Debian).

Why Debian? I have been there. One reason for running RH was they are
local to me, my way of helping them succeed. May not be a drop in the
bucket, but drops add up. I run and develope on many releases.

>>The people this hurts most are the individual
>>who want to keep up with the lastest but are not technical enough to do
>>it on thier own and rely on the distributions to provide upgrades. In
>>this regard the distributors are no different than any other software
>>vendor, except by GPL, they have to give it away for free and in source.
>>I wonder how they would do business if the GPL was not in place?
>>

>So I should cry for non-techies who have problems keeping up with the
>development pace of Linux?  Please! You have got to be kidding me.

No I am not kidding. Depends on what you want for linux for yourself and
for it's success. I do not epect newbies to run out of kernel.org, but
if they want a new program they should not be dependent on a supplier of
a distribution. M$ certainly does not pose any obsticles to purchaning
and installing new software on thier OS, one reason for thier success.
Do we want Linux to be useable by everyone? Majority of busness types
who use computers are non-techies.

>You really need to move over to Debian, because Red Hat is obviously
>*not* for you.
>
>I have no problems with Red Hat's development/release cycles... well
>except for that lone bastard hanging out there: RHL 8.0
>In fact, I only buy the distribution in order to support Red Hat; in
>most cases I've already burned the ISO's.
>

>>I thought with RH interest and support of Gnome the support would follow
>>suit. I do not keep up with Gnome, actually not with kde, just when it
>>strikes me too. Well I quess you comment is not surprizing. Well I
>>understand the look would be different, got to have RH logos everywhere.
>>Isn't the functionality the same???
>>

>Red Hat's focus for a long time has been on applications, services, and
>stability. They have done a stellar job - hence their acceptance in
>America as the defacto distribution for business.

Well as a prime mover in three different companies for the adoption of
Linux it has not been all that easy. I was successful. Defacto not
because of RH as much as IBM, now HP, Fujitsu, HP, and a few others.  I
can only speak of my experiences of last year from a fairly small
company of 90, RH was virtually uninterested in talking to us to
supporting problems we found with thier kernel, even with exchange of
money. We ended up going with ourselves, third party and our clients.
That was ok, I have relied more on the internet and LUGs etc.. for my
knowledge.

>For legal reasons they have gotten into the KDE ball game late, but they
>haven't ignored it. Still their focus is for business. The changes and
>features they push are those that are demanded by business users (folks
>who vote with their wallets...).
>

>Stop kicking at Red Hat!  They don't cater to your pet peeve.  So what.
>Go find a distribution that does.

Not sure if your posting is directed at me. I am also not kicking RH, I
do not ask them to keep up with freshmeat. I was asking about one
particular package, which others have volunteered helpful and useful
information on this thread. No different than helping someone else with
a particular question. The main point of the thread keeps getting hijacked.

I really would like to understand why you suggest Debian. Do you run
Debian?

-karl