[TriLUG] Debian installation.

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Sun May 25 21:05:49 EDT 2003

As luck would have it, the latest issue of LinuxFormat magazine from Britain
answered a question that I had about how to install Knoppix (a Debian
distribution with an extremely easy installation process--simpler in many
respects to RedHat and Mandrake) permanently on one's hard drive!! (on p.24
of the May 2003 issue there is this remarkable statement under the topic
"Knoppix Kudos": "The Knoppix distro that was provided on the Cover disc of
your December issue, is much more than is stated in your introductory guide.
Not only is it a complete install-free Linux distro that can be booted from
a CD, but IT CAN ALSO BE PERMANENTLY INSTALLED ON TO A SPARE PARTITION
GREATER THAN 3 GB ON YOUR HARD DISK. BEST OF ALL YOU THEN HAVE A DEBIAN 3.0
INSTALLATION WITH NEARLY ALL THE HARD WORK DONE FOR YOU." (caps. added by
myself!).
    The article continues with the statement that to do this you just have
to run the "kns-hdinstall" script (on the CD). They also add that it is
useful to first read the "Knoppix Hard Disk Installation HOW TO by John
Jubal. Useful websites to find this on (as well as other info) are said to
be www.knoppix.net and www.nzoss.org.nz .

      Speaking of Libranet, it is interesting that it was one of the
contenders for Linux Format Magazine's "Best Distribution" of the year
award!! (the winner was Mandrake).

      Also in this issue there is a extensive discussion of  SCO's
1,000,000,000 POUND lawsuit against IBM. If you're interested in a look at
this suit in the light of BRITISH (not American) common law, there's also an
article on that as well.

     Finally, there is a $20 book (actually found on the magazine rack at
Borders) on Linux by the same magazine. It includes a distribution which has
the same advantages as Knoppix for those who are interested in trying Linux,
as well as a ton of Linux tutorials on many different subjects.
     Bon Appetit!!--Al Johnson.