[TriLUG] Who runs Red Hat and KDE

karl thiele karlthiele at nc.rr.com
Sun May 25 21:16:01 EDT 2003

Chris Hedemark wrote:

> On Sunday, May 25, 2003, at 05:50 PM, karl thiele wrote:
>
>> Do you run RH and KDE? Do you only upgrade your desktop with a new
>> release of RH?
>

> I have been until now (at the office).  For awhile I was actually
> running OpenBSD & KDE which made it easier for me to have a pure KDE
> environment.  OpenBSD doesn't do LDAP authentication, though, which is
> something I'm a fan of.  Also I had a number of applications that
> claimed a requirement for Red Hat.  I've been gradually reducing my
> dependency on those applications, kinda like the initial move from
> Windows to Linux.

Last place I was at (unemployed, but studing for another career, 1 yr to
go)  I ran BSDOS, WindRiver... I ran kde on it because it worked right
away, lucky I guess. Ran OpenBSD only to port to.  I was doing IPsec work..

> I was only upgrading my desktop with RH releases.  That's really the
> only official way to do it with RH, AFAIK.  They don't provide upgrade
> RPM's to upgrade just KDE while not upgrading the whole distro in the
> process.  I think there are third party ways to go about doing this,
> WRT KDE anyway (I believe those alternative channels were mentioned
> elsewhere in the thread).

I have been installing KDE from source most often because I have been on
many platforms and at the time I started with kde I was developing on
Solaris at work. I like to keep work and home on the same desktop.
Myself and a friend supported open source software for Fujitsu for about
3-4 years, so I was used to doing this sort of thing. Along came
konstruct and that certainly made things much easier.  I then thought if
I am doing this I bet some else is and just wondered how many and how
they did it. I also do not like to step on things with the defaults of a
RH rpm, should they provide upgrade, usually only for security in the
case of kde and RH. If there are enough doing this then I could provide
a pure KDE environment. To run Gnome apps just let kappfinder do it's
thing.

> We're making strategic changes in our Linux use, though, that will
> mostly eliminate our dependency on Red Hat (or even Linux at all, for
> that matter; *BSD will make some inroads over the next year).  I'm
> interested in seeing how well other distributions handle KDE purity &
> upgrades.

You maybe correct here. I watch the tribug list which is not very
active, not many bsd folks around. I contributed a lot to the early bsd
4.1 & 4.2.  BSD has a real need to document things though a lot outdated
material. Now in Japan, there are a number of companies using BSDOS. I
think openBSD seem the most popular here. I do not know why the bsd can
not merge into one.

I am a fan much more of Linux, but some of the "fan" base wears on
me....  well still figuring out what to do with kde and rh. I guess I
ought to count up the responces and see what comes out of this.