[TriLUG] Who runs Red Hat and KDE

Brent Fox bfox at linuxheadquarters.com
Mon May 26 11:09:38 EDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-05-25 at 23:47, karl thiele wrote:
> Since you are a  sales engineer, what is up with rawhide? I know where
> the downloads are but I was unable to find much about rawhide at the RH
> web site. Another side question. What % of your customers run KDE? A
> ball park answer, opinion would be fine.

Rawhide can be found at
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/rawhide/i386/RedHat/RPMS.  I think
that some of our mirrors carry Rawhide too, but I could be wrong.

When we fix a bug or add a new feature to a package, we run it through
our build system.  Then, those packages get pushed out to the Rawhide
FTP site every day or so.  One of the main benefits is that once we fix
a bug that somebody has filed in Bugzilla, they can grab the new
packages from Rawhide to verify that the bug is fixed.  An added benefit
is that the rest of the world can grab the packages from there too.  The
only thing is that we make no guarantees about the quality of the
Rawhide packages because they haven't been through any kind of QA.

So if you follow Rawhide closely, you can get packages before we even
release them in an official distribution.  For example, I was working on
redhat-config-samba for the 8.0 release but didn't quite finish it in
time. So it was in Rawhide for most of the 8.0 cycle and all of the 9
cycle until it was finally shipped in 9.  People were running it from
Rawhide and submitting bug reports and helping me polish it up before we
ever officially shipped it.

About KDE, we really have no way of knowing what percentage of our users
run KDE.  Just like we have no way of counting how many installations of
Red Hat Linux are out there.  Given the level of interest in the
community about what we're doing with KDE in each release, it must be a
large percentage.

Cheers,
   Brent