[TriLUG] Burning SVCD's in Linux

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Mon May 26 13:35:27 EDT 2003

I'd like to second Tanner's suggestion. Actually there is another DVD format
which you might have luck with as well, "XVCD". I've discovered that VCD and
XVCD work great in my DVD player (a fairly new Panasonic progressive scan
model), but even this model doesn't do SVCD. Apparently there is very little
difference between SVCD and XVCD, if you believe the information available
online.

And while we're on the subject of DVD players, you should be aware of a
nasty software bug that afflicts many DVD players called the "chroma bug".
It produces an effect onscreen which you wouldn't notice until someone
pointed it out to you (basically on large areas with a solid color such as
red it introduces noise in the color which makes it look as if there are
streaks of black or other colors present in an area which should be a solid
color). I read about this in a recent issue of DVD magazine. The only
"reasonably priced" models  that I'm aware of are Panasonic, apparently
Panasonic bought all their chroma chips from a source which doesn't have the
bug, so according to DVD magazine, NONE of the Panasonic players are
affected by this problem. There are also some very expensive high end DVD's
($400 or more) which don't have the "chroma bug", and there might be some
other manufacturers who have fixed it, or maybe you wouldn't notice "this
bug anyway", but if you're thinking about buying a new DVD player, you may
want to avoid the "chroma bug" and pick out one of the Panasonic models.--Al
Johnson.